These phenomenal brownies are based off of Canadian Living’s rhubarb cream cheese brownies. We weren’t able to find any rhubarb at any store we went to when we planned on baking these, so I substituted it with raspberries and thickened them to a compote. SO GOOD.
Cream cheese swirl:
- Half package (250 g) softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 170 g/ 6 oz milk chocolate (either cut up the blocks or use chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Prep a parchment-lined 9-inch square pan. I didn’t have one, so I used an 11×5 inch pan, and that was a good amount in it.
- In saucepan, cook the raspberries and sugar over medium heat. It’ll take about 15 minutes for most of the liquid to be cooked out. You’ll want it to be solid enough to swirl into the brownies.
- Set aside to cool, about another 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Beat in egg yolk and cornstarch.
- In a saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally. You can also do this in the microwave. Let cool for 10 minutes
- With the chocolate and butter mixture, whisk in sugar and vanilla, then eggs, 1 at a time. Mix in the flour and salt.
- Alternate between spooning the fruit mixture and cream cheese mixture on top. Use a knife to swirl it.
- Bake at 350*F for about 40-45 minutes.
Yup, they’re phenomenal. SOOOOOO good. We brought them to Nic’s aunt and uncle’s for dinner, and they loved them so much they wanted us to leave some for them to eat the next day. Score.