What’s better than fresh herbs for your cooking? Not much. Nic and I picked up some more potting soil, a window planter, and four herbs to plant for our use this summer.
This is an adorable and perfect size for our kitchen window. We had thought about putting it outside in a real window box, but Nic pointed out we wouldn’t use it much then. You have to go around outside the building, unlock the gate to the alley, and then get what you need. We decided to use the windowsill instead, which will be much more convenient, and we get to enjoy the scents more!
We got basil, mint, lavendar, and parsley. This is going to be a great summer! I already used the mint last night for some fresh tea with honey.
Want some gardening resources?
- You Grow Girl with Gayla Trail – I have her book by that name, and she also has an Instagram which documents her urban organic gardening in Toronto
- My Pinterest plants board
- Grow It – helps you determine which plants will do best in your area, and crowd-source answers to your gardening questions
- Inhabitat Herb Garden Infographic – lots of info on when in the year to grow, how to propagate, etc.
- “Homegrown Remedies” Anne McIntyre – includes recipes and tips on what to grow together